The main purpose of the Component Bilingual Committee is to safeguard and promote Canada’s two official languages in the workplace as well as within the Union.
THE COMPONENT BILINGUAL COMMITTEE SHALL:
1. Work with the Component president to ensure that Canada’s official languages act is upheld by the employer and that issues affecting the members are addressed.
2. Meet with the Company on a regular basis to discuss any issues regarding bilingualism and report these discussions to the Component President.
3. Meet with government officials when required.
4. Report to the Component President at least every 3 months verbally or in writing, and report to the quarterly regular ACCEX meetings in writing.
THE COMPONENT BILINGUAL COMMITTEE SHALL NOT:
1. Have the power to make any decision binding on the Union.
2. Send out any type of communication to the membership or the Company without the express written consent of the Component President.
As special assignment is defined as quasi management in the collective agreement, any member who is on Special Assignment shall continue to pay dues and be eligible for voting but must resign from any CUPE position and shall not be eligible for nomination or appointment to any office Committee in the Union.
All Committees and committee members shall adhere to the Component Expense policy.