Throughout the COVID-19 experience we have received many emails asking what we are doing to address this virus at the Health and Safety Committee level. Our answer has been consistent: “We’re doing what the reports show we should be doing. Have you filed a health and safety complaint?” The answer is almost always NO.
This needs to change.
We will not forward emails addressed to the union to the company, or screenshot social media posts. In many cases we cannot even discuss these without identifying our members. This would be a massive breach of trust and confidentiality. What’s on FB stays on FB – enjoy all the likes …
This is why we need reports. They are submitted directly to the company, so we know we can refer to them and work off of them. They’re also trackable and generate crucial stats that carry a lot more weight when recommending a change to senior management than “things we heard on FB”.
Take a few minutes to give your committees the tools they need to represent you. If you have time to post on Facebook, or Yammer, or to write an email – you have the time to file a formal report.
Here’s how to send a health and safety complaint e-report:
- ACAeronet > Safety > Submit a report/SIMS
- You will pass through two login screens
- Click on the e-report tab in the top left of the screen
- Select health and safety complaint from the menu on the right
- A pop-up will appear
- Remember to use your Air Canada email address
- Before clicking “submit” verify the “set department” button just to the left and ensure IFS DEPARTMENT is selected.
- We suggest typing the text of your complaint in a blank email so that it isn’t lost if there is a problem submitting.
- If you are an in-charge, you may file your health and safety complaint on your iPad.
- Your union H&S reps will be able to see your report in the safety system but send us an email to let us know you’ve submitted it with the report reference number.
- Log into Aeronet and into AQD reporting portal
- Select an IFS Occupational Health and Safety eReport.
- Refer to chapter 2 in your PUB for instructions
- Ensure to provide a copy to the union by emailing email@example.com
If you’re having trouble with e-reporting reach out to us. We’ll be happy to assist and/or to put you in touch with the correct manager.
Your Air Canada Component of CUPE Health and Safety Committee