We are aware that the deadline stipulated in the arbitrator’s award for this grievance has not been met. The Company has informed the Union that the settlement will be paid by direct deposit to our members on Tuesday, October 2, 2018. The Union is reviewing its options regarding the late payment.
As per the award for CHQ-rouge-17-11, the company will be responsible for underpayments of vacation time for the following past vacation years:
• May 1, 2015 to April 30, 2016 (the 2015/16 vacation year)
• May 1, 2016 to April 30, 2017 (the 2016/17 vacation year)
• May 1, 2017 to April 30, 2018 (the 2017/18 vacation year)
The award stipulates that all underpayments will be rectified by December 31, 2018, and that moving forward, underpayments will be calculated at the end of the vacation year and paid out in September of each year.
To clarify further:
• We are currently in the 2018/19 vacation year
• When we say “payout”, this refers to the difference between the actual vacation pay you received that year and 4% or 6% of your annual wages (as per the Canada Labour Code)
• In September 2018 you will receive a payout for the 2017/18 vacation year
• In December 2018 you will receive a payout for the 2015/16 and 2016/17 vacation years
• Each September moving forward, you will receive a payout reconciling the vacation pay for the most recently completed vacation year (ie: in September 2020, you will receive a payout for the 2019/20 vacation year)
Click here to read the full award.
Air Canada Component of CUPE