Your Component leadership, Hotel Committee, and OHS Committee have been following the events in both Barcelona and Santiago closely. To date Global Affairs Canada has not issued a travel advisory against travel to either destination. However, a heightened level of caution is advised for both urban areas as a result of ongoing protests, riots and possible criminal acts.
That said, when travelling to countries in a time of heated politics your Union recommends the following:
- Visit the Global Affairs website regularly, or download the government’s Travel Smart app. For your convenience we have provided the links below.
- Make sure to read your Company communications to remain aware of any potential operational changes.
- Ensure to let someone from your crew know where you are when you go out or leave a note in your room. Follow Company procedures if you expect to be away from the hotel for an extended period of time. In the event that there is a major disturbance, ensure to let crew scheduling know that you are alright.
- Practice good “street smarts” while on layover: Avoid large gatherings and protests, avoid government buildings or locations of political or touristic significance, avoid politically provocative conversation, follow the advice and guidance of local authorities, try to remain aware of the local news while on layover. If in doubt about any local safety issues, consulting the hotel staff can be helpful.
- Stay away from military and police checkpoints and operations. Avoid public transportation systems.
- If there are curfews, please respect them. Any issues, promptly advise your Union and base management.
USEFUL LINKS AND TOOLS:
Consult The Global Affairs Canada Page:
Download Global Affairs Canada’s TRAVEL SMART APP:
Download The Union’s Layover Safety Guide:
HERE (English) ICI (Francais), view it in your 2019 CUPE Agenda, or obtain in by sending a blank email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You may obtain information about injury on duty, which includes stress from a potentially traumatic event by emailing email@example.com.
You may reach a Union Officer at any time by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Consult the layover safety information in your ePub.
Download or print the Union’s important contacts (BL) by clicking HERE.