Prepayment of premiums is not required for an absence from the payroll of fifteen (15) calendar days or less. Prepayment of premiums is required for an absence from the payroll of sixteen (16) or more calendar days for one of the following reasons. You must prepay the required premium in full within thirty (30) days in order to be eligible for benefit consideration following the end of any of these periods:
1. Leave of absence granted: (such as personal, educational, maternity, child care, bereavement, or jury duty) other than inability to meet medical standards (IMMS), your coverage may be continued for a maximum duration of up to 24 months;
If you have elected to keep your coverage in force and you become totally disabled during the 24-month period, the elimination period will commence on the date you are scheduled to return to work.
2. Lay-off: your coverage may be continued for a maximum duration of up to six (6) months. Should you become disabled during the six-month period, you will not be eligible for benefit consideration unless you are recalled from lay-off status.
If you have elected to keep your coverage in force and you become totally disabled during the 6-month period, the elimination period will commence on the date you are scheduled to return to work;
3. Suspension: your coverage may be continued for the duration of your suspension.
If you have elected to keep your coverage in force and should you be eligible for benefit consideration, the elimination period will begin on the date you are recalled to work;
4. Strike or lockout: your coverage will be suspended during the strike or lockout but will be reinstated once the strike or lockout has ended and you have returned to active work.
If you are in receipt of disability benefits under the contract before the strike or lock-out, benefits shall continue during the strike or lock-out.
Should you become totally disabled during a strike or lockout, you will not be eligible for benefit consideration.
Should you not prepay the required premium, your coverage will lapse and will not become effective until you return to full-time active work as a flight attendant.
To ensure continued coverage for up to 24 months (six (6) months during a lay-off), you must make the first required premium payment within 30 days from the commencement of the leave of absence. The date payment is received by MANION will determine your on time payment.
For more information regarding prepayment of premiums or to make arrangements for prepayment of premiums, please contact MANION by phone at 416-234-3511 or toll free at 1-866-532-8999.
If you are on vacation and become disabled, the 7-day elimination period commences following the date first not available for work at the completion of your vacation.
If your leave of absence of 16 (sixteen) or more calendar days precedes your vacation and you have not prepaid the premium for that leave of absence, coverage will not be reinstated until you return to active work.
No prepayment of premiums is required when you are absent from work due to vacation or a personal leave of absence of 15 (fifteen) calendar days or less.
HOW TO FILE A WAGE INDEMNITY CLAIM – Effective April Block Month
The Application for Wage Indemnity Plan Benefits, including the Claimant’s Statement, Employer’s Statement and Physician’s Statement, should be completed as soon as you know you will off work for more than 7 days. Your 7-day elimination period commences from the date of your first flight missed or first reserve day missed, if on reserve.
YOUR COMPLETED APPLICATION MUST BE RECEIVED WITHIN 30 DAYS OF YOUR FIRST FLIGHT MISSED OR FIRST RESERVE DAY MISSED, IF ON RESERVE.
If not already completed when received, the Employer’s Statement should be completed as soon as possible.
Email to email@example.com or Mail the completed claimant’s statement directly to MANION. Do not use crew boxes or leave at the Airport Office.
- In case of an accident, be sure to explain the circumstances on a separate sheet. (WCB, Motor Vehicle, Home)
- Ensure you sign and date the Authorization at the bottom of the page.
You must see a physician (MD) within 14 days of your first flight missed or first reserve day missed, if on reserve, in order to qualify for benefits commencing on the 8th day of your disability.
- Have your treating physician complete the Physician’s Statement FULLY. Most claim delays are due to incomplete medical evidence. Please make sure that the physician’s name is legible and that the address and telephone number are complete.
- Have your physician clearly indicate the diagnosis, complications (if any), treatment, medication and all dates of visits. – If your physician does not know when you can return to work, an approximate date should be given. Indicating “indefinite” will delay your claim.
- If you are receiving treatment from any other medical practitioner who is not a licensed physician (MD), you must ALSO be under the regular and ongoing care of a licensed physician (MD).
- Please sign the Authorization Request. If you do not sign this authorization statement your claim will be returned to you, resulting in a delay.
DO NOT ALTER OR ADD ANY INFORMATION TO THE PHYSICIAN’S STATEMENT!
TO ENSURE CONFIDENTIALITY PLEASE SEND THE PHYSICIAN’S STATEMENT DIRECTLY TO MANION.
THE EMPLOYER DOES NOT REQUIRE A COPY OF THE PHYSICIAN’S STATEMENT!
If your disability arose out of, or in the course of your employment, you MUST apply for Workers’ Compensation (C.S.S.T. in Quebec). However, you must also apply for Weekly Indemnity benefits in the interim. All Weekly Indemnity claims must be submitted within days of your first flight missed or first reserve day missed, if on reserve, regardless of whether you have also filed a Worker’s Compensation claim. Failure to file a Weekly Indemnity claim will jeopardize your entitlement to these benefits in the event that your Workers’ Compensation claim is refused or terminated. Weekly Indemnity benefits will be payable only for a maximum of 120 days from the date of disability while a decision is pending from Workers’ Compensation. Please contact your Regional Office for more information if you are applying for Workers’ Compensation benefits.
When you have returned to work, notify MANION immediately, so that your Weekly Indemnity claim can be finalized.
Your benefits will be deposited directly into your bank account, therefore please submit the Direct Deposit application along with a void cheque when you submit your application.
While you are receiving Weekly Indemnity benefits, supplementary reports will be forwarded to you periodically. Upon receipt, have this report completed and returned to MANION, as soon as possible so that payments will not be delayed. It is your responsibility to provide proof of disability. You must submit proof of disability WITHIN 30 DAYS of your first flight missed or first reserve day missed, if on reserve. If you submit proof after days, it will not be processed unless you can show sufficient reasons in writing for not applying earlier.
The claimant is responsible for having all forms completed and any charges incurred for completion of same. You may submit your claim to MANION by sending your documents in:
- by email to firstname.lastname@example.org;
- by mail; or
- by fax.
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR PROBLEMS REGARDING YOUR CLAIM, OR CLAIM SUBMISSION, PLEASE DO NOT HESITATE TO CONTACT MANION.
Please note: You must advise MANION before you travel at any time during your Weekly Indemnity claim. Out-of-country travel requires written medical clearance from your physician.
When you return to work, you must notify MANION immediately.
Applying for Benefits – Time Limits
Your claim will be processed when the claimant’s statement, the employer’s statement and the physician’s statement have all been received. You should therefore follow up with your employer and your physician to ensure the forms are completed in a timely manner and avoid delay of benefits due to late submission.
It is your responsibility to submit proof of disability within:
(a) 30 days of your first flight missed or first reserve day missed, if on reserve;
(b) 30 days of the termination of your disability benefits under the Employment Insurance Act of Canada in order to reinstate your claim under this Wage Indemnity Plan; and
(c) 30 days of the recurrence of a disability.
LATE CLAIMS WILL BE PROCESSED WHEN YOU CAN SHOW SUFFICIENT REASON IN WRITING FOR NOT APPLYING EARLIER.
YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR HAVING THE CLAIM FORMS COMPLETED AND ANY CHARGES INCURRED FOR THEIR COMPLETION.
On Behalf of The Board of Trust,
Manion, Wilkins & Associates
626-21 Four Seasons Place
Toll Free Line: 1-800-663-7849
Contact Centre: 1-866-532-8999